Naval History Homepage and Site Search
Log Books of the U.S. Revenue Service/Coast Guard, 19th and 20th Centuries
USCGC Unalga (II)
General description, specifications and time line
Unalga (II) being launched as the USS Tipton
(Historical Collections of the Great Lakes, Bowling Green State University, click images to enlarge)
(Unalga, island off Alaska, sometimes misspelt Ungala)
Type and Characteristics - Diesel-engined freighter, Alamosa-class, built on Maritime Commission C1-M-AV1 type hull, ex-USS Tipton, WAK-185/AKA-215/MC-2169, built by Leatham D. Smith Shipbuilding Company, Sturgeon Bay, WI at cost of $2,100,000, launched 13 March 1945, commissioned as mercantile 10 April 1945, USN 9 October 1945, USCG 4 March 1946, 5,650 tons displacement, 338ft long x 50ft beam x 17ft, draft 10.6kts, no armament, 112 crew.
Log Period and Areas of Service: 1946-50, Alaskan waters.
Summary of Service
1945 - Upon commissioning, the cargo ship USS Tipton was transferred to the custody of the Coast Guard for maintenance and operation and was manned by a Coast Guard crew, Lt. Comdr. H. E. Gray, USCGR, in command.
4 March 1946 - Tipton was decommissioned and permanently transferred to the Coast Guard, commissioned into the Coast Guard as USCGC Unalga. She was struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946.
1946 - Acquired from USN, converted to supply freighter at Coast Guard Yard to assist with construction of LORAN (LOng RAnge Navigation) stations worldwide. Stationed at Seattle, WA mainly engaged in building Alaskan stations.
28 November 1948 - Assisted MV Kasilof.
Fate: Decommissioned 19 January 1950, transferred to Maritime Commission
A general note on the sources.