(Pinta, one of Christopher Columbus' original three ships)

Type and Characteristics - Single screw, iron-hulled tug, built by Reaney, Son and Archbold, Chester, PA, launched 29 October 1864, completed October 1865, 306 tons, 137ft long x 26ft beam x 11ft draft, 8.5kts, armed with 2-30pdr Parrott rifled guns and 1-12pdr howitzer, 52 crew, first commanded by Lt Cdr Henry H Gorringe.

Log Period and Areas of Service - 1865-1908, Atlantic coast, Alaskan waters.

Summary of Service

October 1865 Served on harbor duty at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

22 November 1873 Operated out of Key West on various duties including messenger service, naval drill in Florida Bay, and towing and freight services.

15 April 1876 Decommissioned at Norfolk Navy Yard.

1878 Reactivated as a yard tug.

24 February 1883 Patrolled Alaskan waters protecting the seal fisheries.

10 April 1889 Laid up for repairs at Mare Island Navy Yard.

17 October 1889 Continued in patrol operations in the Bering Sea.

17 July 1897 Decommissioned at Mare Island Navy Yard.

1898 - Served with the Naval Militia at San Diego, California through 1907.

Fate - Struck from Naval Register January 1908.

Link: DANFS

 

A general note on the sources.